Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas Cookies

We have a set of nativity cookie cutters. I thought it would be fun to let Kate make and decorate sugar cookies this afternoon. Cooking with Kate is never quite the same in my head as it turns out...but it was still fun. And it is really hard to take pictures and help at the same time...

Getting the dough ready...
We rolled out the dough. You can't see in this picture vey well but Kate has the baby Jesus cutter. I really wanted her to do as much as possible by herself but she is 2 and they all overlapped. So I had to re-roll the dough and help her get them a little spaced out.

I finally figured out putting all the cutters in at the same time kept them from overlapping. Kate was more interested in touching the dough and trying to eat it.

We skipped the icing step :) and went straight to the sprinkles. I let Kate do it all by herself. And I let her pick out which one she wanted to eat. She picked the camel, which of course was the biggest cookie! Smart girl! You can see the outline left behind by the sprinkles in the bottom left corner.


I made another batch later. It is really hard to tell what each cookie is. Baby Jesus looks more like a tulip. It would probably help to ice them and really decorate them but I think we will save that for next year!

Our cookie nativity...(top row) star, angel, heart, sheep, (middle row) shepherd and donkey, (bottom row) sheep, Joseph, Jesus on the manger, Mary, and a wise man.

Brynlee took a little nap while we were baking...



No comments:

Post a Comment